The McCombs quality tradition was founded in 1906 by J. W. McCombs, Jr. The original business was located in historic up-town Jackson, Missouri, owned and managed by Mr. McCombs and his wife, Emma.
In 1929, Mr. McCombs and three other local shareholders incorporated the business as “MCCOMBS FURNITURE AND UNDERTAKING” and all operations remained on South High Street in uptown Jackson.
In August, 1942, still under the management of Mr. McCombs, the funeral parlor was separated from the furniture store and moved to the former Presbyterian church parsonage on North High Street. The home was completely remodeled for use as a funeral parlor.
In 1972, under the ownership and management of Perry and Margie Grindstaff, Elmer and Elvira Best and Bruce and Donna Dockins the standard and tradition continued, with the opening of a newly constructed funeral home on West Independence across from the city park. It was an exciting time for the firm!
In 1976, with the ever increasing demands on the funeral profession, the furniture business was sold and the funeral home corporate name was changed to “MCCOMBS FUNERAL HOME, INC.,” still under the ownership of Perry and Margie Grindstaff and Bruce and Donna Dockins.
Grindstaff and the Dockins remained business partners until 1987, when Grindstaff retired. As local loyalties blessed McCombs with their patronage, the firm steadily continued to grow and the Dockins envisioned a new facility, in a neighboring community, yet a totally different market. Cape Girardeau, just a fifteen minute drive from Jackson, was to be the location for the second home; and on a cold January day in 1995, ground was broken for the new site. October 28, 1995 brought the grand-opening of the elegant, yet comfortable new facility.
Today, Bruce and Donna Dockins are honored and proud to serve the area. The staff consists of six licensed funeral directors, including the Dockins’ son, daughter and son-in-law, and three licensed embalmers, including Bruce and his son, Jamey.